This project has been on going for about 5 years.
Many years ago my mother gave me this desk and chair that she and dad bought when they were first married, around 1950. Sometime in the 70's she had antiqued it white. I think it was a huge craze at the time for I seem to remember entire bedroom sets through out the house sporting the antique look. By the time I got the desk the antique finish was scratched to pieces and the desk top was quite damaged with heat and water stains, it was an absolute mess. I used it that way for years and finally got the desk refinished a couple of years ago. I ran out of time and told myself that I would do the chair soon. My soon has turned into 4 years. Part of my problem was the chair was structurally unsafe. The one center back piece had been missing for as long as I can remember and several of the doweled joints had broken through. I didn't have the tools or the skills to fix it, I was in a dilemma.
Then into my thoughts came the name of Curtis. Curtis is my little (tall) brother. He is a master of wood and so I asked him if he could help my little chair to a new life. He agreed, I was thankful. Little did I know how thankful I would really feel until some 9 months later. A year ago I took it over to him and when I got it back in this May not only had he fixed the joints, he had completely taken the chair apart, tightened and re-dowels all joints, custom made a back piece and then stripped it to the bare wood. It was beautiful with out any stain. With all the yard landscaping and such I just didn't have a minute to finish this chair until this week. So now stain, varnish and new upholstery on the seat the chair is as beautiful as it was the day Mom and dad bought it.
you are the best and I will love sitting in this chair every time I sit down to sew,
and that is quite often.
So you may be asking why would I want this chair at all, why not throw it away? So unless you are 5 foot tall or shorter you will not understand the sheer ecstatic joy one feels, to sit in a chair with your back touching the back, it a true upright posture, no slumping here and your feet, both of them flat on the ground, no toe touching. That is why I wanted this chair saved IT FITS ME!! plus its a memory of dad who died nearly 47 years ago. I am grateful that mom and dad felt inclined to purchase a quality piece of furniture when things were tight financially for them. I am sure they had no idea they would have a short daughter who would fit this chair "just right"
I sound like the baby bear in Goldilocks and the 3 bears story. Maybe that is why I always related to the little bear and his chair.
I sound like the baby bear in Goldilocks and the 3 bears story. Maybe that is why I always related to the little bear and his chair.
5 comments:
Awesome...it is beautiful. Email me the process you did to get that finish looking so natural. I am also a refinisher!
I love it - especially the story! I have a chair from my grandparents house that I spent WAY too much having recovered, but I had to have it because of the warm memories that come with it!
It looks so nice! I do understand the need for furniture for us that are vertically challenged! Hold on to it tight!
It does look lovely... I wonder if our Ikea furniture will stand the test of time... probably not.
Good job, LaVon!
Post a Comment