Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Part 2 Concrete

Since we moved into this house in 1987 the drive way has needed to be replaced. It was a huge driveway and were just never had the money but it has always remained on the FIX UP list. We had estimates several times in the last 10 years but they were always more than we were willing to spend. With the recession, 2 things happened. Concrete prices per yard dropped significantly and contractors were bidding bottom dollar to just get work to do. Thus it was finally time to replace the driveway. The added push was that we had the front part already ripped out so they could work on the driveway without having to ruin new landscaping, and ruin it they would have.

This is not to show you how cute Stacy is in the new skirt I made her but to show the best part of the driveway some 6 years ago. The tractor doing its magic. They had this whole driveway ripped out and hauled away in 3 hours. It was amazing.
The driveway was poured in 3 sections on consecutive days.
This is the West wing, grated, re bar installed and the finished concrete.

Here is the top flat part. It was the hardest to pour because they didn't have gravity on their side to pull the concrete down, plus in many places the concrete was 7 inched deep.

Next came the East wing and when they finished the driveway it was the prettiest thing I had seen for awhile. OK that's a bit of an exaggeration but I didn't realize the driveway could look so nice and make such a difference in the appearance of the house.
It only took 33 yards of concrete for this massive driveway.
Opps I guess there are no pics for this part. My camera is in the shop and I depend on Rachel for pics. Use you imagination or just flip the images from the West wing to the east and there you have it.
Should you ever need concrete work done we would recommend these crew They were awesome and so easy to work with. I was most thrilled when they helped move the remaining rock and hauled it and the dirt away.

I had forgotten what the front of the house looked like when we moved in other than there were lots of junipers. When I found this pics with cute Alan posing for the first day of school (don't you just love the shorts) I suddenly remembered why I was so glad to have it all re-done

Stay tuned for part 3. Its exciting for sure.

2 comments:

politicchic6 said...

I don't know which I like most. The new landscaping or Alan's outfit. Stacy's dance is also in the mix

Michelle said...

The finished product looks great!