Friday, November 21, 2008

Life after Birthdays

So now that Birthday Season is over I thought I would show you what I do in the basement while I watch Peyton. I love to sew, but the last few years that has meant curtains, quilts, sheets, pillows etc... so you get the picture mostly home decor stuff. So I got this really STRONG urge to make a cute little girls dress, partly because I love to make dresses and partly because I wanted to see if I could remember basic garment construction techniques. A friend was kind enough to allow me to make this for her little girl and it looked so cute on her when it was done, it was worth it.
For the most part this incredibly simple jumper went together with out a hitch, the ZIPPER was a pain. Finally on the 6th try I got it in to my satisfaction. Now I have put in hundreds of zippers over the last 45 years. Guess I got my answer, I need PRACTICE. So I have a feeling there are many more little girl dresses coming out of my basement in the next few months.

And this is Peyton's favorite activity to do while I sew. Unload every pin from my pin cushion
onto the floor. She is very CAREFUL to NEVER stick herself!

5 comments:

Michele said...

That little dress is adorable! I have not tempted to make anything harder than a skirt.

Rachel said...

MOM! argh!! i hate when u do this!!!

Michelle said...

What a cute dress! I'm not sure I would have been patient enough to put a zipper in six times. Actually, I don't think I even know how to do a zipper! Maybe I should stop by for some lessons. Looks like fun for both you and Peyton!

Peggy said...

What a cute little dress! Can't wait to see the wardrobe you will sew for Peyton!

larifunk said...

Cute dress! I can't remember the last time I sewed anything with a zipper, since I make a conscious effort to avoid things with zippers! I recently set up a blog, too, so come visit our blog! fivefunks.blogspot.com