Sunday, March 22, 2009

This Old House

Well the time has come for this old house to be up-dated. When we moved into this house 21 years ago this wall had the UGLIEST wall paper I think I had ever seen, (well the wall paper in our bedroom and living room might have been a close rival) After about 5 years we hung the wall paper that has been there for about 16 years. I am SICK of it. However I never had developed the stamina I knew I would need to strip it all off and paint that wall. You see it had 3 layers under mine with a coat of paint between each one. However 16 years of looking at the same wall has been enough to make me persevere through this.

The wall as it looked few days ago and then after 5 hours of intense labor, 1/2 gall of wallpaper remover and gallons of water in a steamer this is what it looks like now.

There are 7 door frames,jams and doors in this area. This is an old house with old trim and thus they are painted with OIL based paint. Since it was 76 degrees today it was the perfect time to paint them all. When I last did this end of the house the guy at the paint store sold me exterior white swearing it would not yellow inside. Like a sucker I believed him and within a few months they were yellow-ish. Now they are the white I always wanted. You can see how yellowed they became when the door next to it was painted white.
Tomorrow the rest of the wallpaper will be gone, either that or I might be gone. and then it will be onto patching, priming, sanding,varnishing and painting to make it look delightful.

3 comments:

Hatch's said...

I like it! I especially like that old house wall paper!

Alan said...

Wow. Hard at work I see.

Kimmy said...

lookin good! i like the white myself too! i love when things look fresh and new! i can't imagine living in a house for that long..seeing that i have moved every year for the last 10 years.
thank you for the baby gifts! the clothes are super cute! we can't wait until he comes! thank you!!!